Re: [CFT/PATCH] give sound/oss/trident a holiday cleanup for 2.6

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 15:35:13 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, Jeff Garzik wrote:

Thirty separate patches is OK.

We have scripts to handle "patchbombs".

Yes and no.

Thirty separate patches make sense if they are independent and really do conceptually different things. Then it makes sense to have them as separate checkins, and be able to tell people "ok, try undoing that one, maybe that's the problem".

However, if they are all just "fix silly bugs in xxx", then I'd much rather see it as one big patch. Having it split up into "fix bug on line 50" and "fix bug on line 75" just doesn't make any sense - it only makes the patch history harder to follow.

There's certainly a middle ground. For drivers I generally request that bug fixes for separate bugs be split up, since inevitably one bug fix out of twenty breaks for somebody on that somebody's weird hardware.

Jeff