Re: ACPI problems (was: Re: Synaptics PS/2 driver and 2.6.0-test11)

From: Lukas Hejtmanek
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 20:03:44 EST

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 01:37:11AM +0100, Peter Osterlund wrote:
> That's normal. The hardware generates 80 packets/second and it keeps
> generating packets 1 second after you stop using the touchpad. Each
> packet is 6 bytes and the i8042 controller generates one
> interrupt/byte.
>
> 500 interrupts/s shouldn't be any problem to handle though.

Well it depends. If ACPI disables interrupts or it keeps some spin lock then
there is a high probability that some interrupts are lost.

If I do (with no load nor i/o stress):

# time cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state
present: yes
capacity state: ok
charging state: unknown
present rate: unknown
remaining capacity: 4000 mAh
present voltage: 14800 mV

real 0m1.118s
user 0m0.001s
sys 0m0.007s

However for me it looks odd that sound is not corrupted (and I believe
that dma buffer does not hold 1 sec of sound data) while serio and soft modem
is.

--
Lukáš Hejtmánek