Re: 2.6.0 performance problems

From: Roger Luethi
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 20:26:56 EST

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 17:07:46 -0500, Thomas Molina wrote:
> Execution time for the test was:
> real 13m33.482s
> user 0m33.540s
> sys 0m16.210s
>

> Under 2.6 top shows:
> user nice system irq softirq iowait idle
> 0.9 0 5.3 0.9 0.3 92.6 0
>
> Execution time for the test was:
> real 22m42.397s
> user 0m37.753s
> sys 0m54.043s
>
> I've done no performance tweaking in either case. Both tests were done
> immediately after boot up with only the top program running in each case.
> I'm not sure what other data would be relevant here. Any thoughts from
> the group would be appreciated.

I bet this is just yet another instance of a problem we've been
discussing on lkml and linux-mm for several months now (although Linus
asking for DMA presumably means it's not as well known as I thought
it was).

Basically, when you need to resort to paging for getting work done on
2.6 you're screwed. Your bk export takes a lot more memory than you
have RAM in your machine, right?

Check the archives for this thread:
2.6.0-test9 - poor swap performance on low end machines

Roger