Spurious double-clicks in 2.6.0

From: Rob Landley
Date: Tue Dec 30 2003 - 04:42:05 EST

I recently had the opportunity to compare 2.6 and 2.4 on my thinkpad, and
although most things are greatly improved in 2.6, one thing stands out.

When I click on things in 2.6, about 1% of the time it double-clicks instead.
(Clicking on a titlebar to raise the window causes it to roll up instead,
clicking on a scrollbar causes it to page down twice instead of once, etc.
I'm always afraid that pulling up the top left window menu (to move it to
another desktop, make it always on top, etc) will kill the window instead...)

This just doesn't happen under 2.4: I used the default kernel of Fedora Core 1
for several days after a recent reinstall before putting 2.6 back on the box.
But the input core doesn't seem to have this detail yet.

In 2.4 there seems to be some minimum time required between clicks to count as
a double-click, which nicely filters out this kind of suprious electrical
contact bounce thing. (This makes sense: a human being simply CAN'T click
twice within 1/20th of a second. The mouse driver should drop a second click
that comes faster than that: it's keybounce from the previous click.)

Rob