Re: Best Low-cost IDE RAID Solution For 2.6.x? (OT?)

From: Wakko Warner
Date: Tue Dec 30 2003 - 09:33:49 EST

> > > nice about bad sectors as most hardware raid controllers. On the other
> > > hand the md driver kicks the ass of nearly every raid controller I've tried.
> >
> > Faster than the mylex extreme raid 2000? or one of the higher end adaptecs?
>
> Even faster than HP/Compaq cciss hwraid setups, yes.

I've personally not had any experience with any hardware raid other than the
mylex DAC960 family.

One thing that keeps me from using the linux raid sw is the fact it can't be
partitioned. I thought about lvm/evms, but I'm unwilling to make an initrd to
set it up (mounting root). Unfortunately boot loaders don't seem to support
anything other than raid1. (Mostly lilo, but I'm not sure grub would do this
either)