Re: best AMD motherboard for Linux

From: Joel Jaeggli
Date: Tue Dec 30 2003 - 13:49:53 EST

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Derek Foreman wrote:
> I'm not sure how you're defining "comparably". If you mean they get
> similar numbers from glxgears, that's possible. But the feature sets are
> not at all comparable. Nvidia's linux driver actually exposes the
> features available on modern graphics hardware.
>
> If you're going to advise against the use of their products in a public
> forum, I suggest you be a lot more specific.

For me at least the nvidia driver substantially increased effort involved
in dealing with a driver thats internals are not openly available, in
boxes the test lots of kernels. notwithstanding that I still have two them.

When dealing with laptops and apm/acpi issues I'd vastly prefer to have a
radeon mobility m7 in the box than virtually anything else, and rv200s
have in general been extremely easy for us to support among our users
given the integration of their drivers.