Re: Compatibility of Nvidia NVNET driver license with GPL

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Dec 31 2003 - 01:38:37 EST

Karel Kulhavý wrote:
Hello

I faintly remember reading some article on the Net from Linus Torvalds stating
something like if a piece of code is written specifically for Linux kernel, it
must be under GPL.

I have got an nVidia NForce2 board and downloaded their Ethernet driver (nvnet)
and they say in README: "the network driver provided by NVIDIA is subject to
the NVIDIA software license". How is with compatibility of such a behaviour
with GPL of the kernel sources?

Since I am not a lawyer, my engineering suggestion would be to sidestep legal issues by using "forcedeth" driver, to drive your nForce NIC. It's fully GPL'd, and full open source.

Jeff