Re: System lockup when playing chess

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Thu Jan 01 2004 - 10:46:31 EST

On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 02:31:58PM +0100, Anders Skovsted Buch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am experiencing consistent lockups of the linux kernel when I play chess
> with crafty. What happens is that while the chess engine is running,
> suddenly the whole system will freeze, and the only think I can get to
> work is the reboot button. I have tried to put the computer in text-mode
> (telinit 3) and run the chess program (with gui) from another computer on
> my LAN, to see if any oops-output would show up, but there is nothing.
>
> My system runs Redhat 7.2 and is uptodate with patches (so I'm running
> kernel version 2.4.20-24.7 #1, athlon version). The chess program is
> Crafty 17.9. The processor is "AMD Athlon(tm) 4 Processor".
> /var/log/messages shows nothing of interest.
>
> I wonder if this scarse information is good for anything. And in any
> case, thanks for all your great work which I benefit from every day!!

Could this be a simple overheating problem?
Chess programs are cpu intensive, and so the cpu gets hot.
Perhaps there is insufficient cooling. the cooling may be
enough for non-cpu intensive stuff like email, web, and so on.
what happens if you run a big compile or a long-lasting
cpu benchmark? Those things also cause heat.

Helge Hafting