Re: Adaptec/DPT I2O Option Omitted From Linux 2.6.0 Kernel Configuration Tool

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Thu Jan 01 2004 - 21:11:53 EST

Leon Toh <tltoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I totally agree with you. However at the time when this driver was
> written it was only intended for Intel i386 base architecture. And
> furthermore AMD64 wasn't even available at that stage.

But other 64bit architectures were like IA64. It was very short sightened,
especially since it doesn't require much effort to write 64bit clean
code from the beginning.

> At this point of time I think fixing this driver for 32bit
> architecture now is far more important than addressing 64bit
> architecture, don't you agree Andi ?

Unclear. The number of 2.4/AMD64 users tripping over this might
be not much smaller than the number of early 2.6 adopter 32bit users.

-Andi