Re: best AMD motherboard for Linux

From: Yaroslav Klyukin
Date: Fri Jan 02 2004 - 01:55:43 EST

Diego Calleja wrote:
And if anyone had a tdfx card in a powerpc machine, they could use it.
Unlike the propietary drivers: you have to use the framebuffer in your
ibook (with linux) because you don't have drivers for PPC. However,
I have iBook with ATI video. IMHO, the use of framebuffer in _text_ mode is required, because of lack of fonts.
As for graphical mode, ati.2 AKA ?gatos? drivers work just fine.
It took me some struggle, before I could make this video card play movies with mplayer. Standard ati or radeon drivers, which
come with 4.3.0 XFree86 had have poor performance. Now I can play fullscreen on 600Mhz PPC CPU.
Mac OS X has them....