Re: Syscall table AKA hijacking syscalls

From: Libor Vanek
Date: Fri Jan 02 2004 - 14:04:27 EST

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 07:04:31PM +0100, Jörn Engel wrote:
On Fri, 2 January 2004 17:59:22 +0100, Libor Vanek wrote:
> >My guess is that the filesystem change notification would be a better
> >solution, either in userspace or in kernelspace, doesn't matter. But
> >that is far from finished or even generally accepted.
> > This is also something (but just a bit) different - I don't need "change > notification" but "pre-change notification" ;)

"Vor dem Spiel ist nach dem Spiel" -- Sepp Herberger

Except for exactly two cases, pre-change and post-change and the same,
just off-by-one. So you would need a bootup/mount/whenever special
case now, is that a big problem?

Probably my english is bad but I don't understand what are you trying to say (except the german part ;-))
A bit more about pre/post-change (if this is what are you trying to say) - I need allways pre-change because after file is changed I can no longer get original (pre-change) version of file which I need for snapshot.

> >For the diploma thesis, feel free to use any hack you like, including
> >hijacking syscalls. But remember that it is a hack and nothing else,
> >only helping you to remain on schedule and focus more on the real
> >subject. And don't plan on kernel acceptance either, as you will fail
> >either that or the thesis and I'd choose the thesis.
> > You're absolutely right but when I'm going to spent several weeks on > something like this I'd like to do something usefull - not something > which will be trashed after exam. So I'm trying to find out some > "politically correct" way.

Then seperate the two problems. One is to figure out, what has
changed and two is to act accordingly. Two should be pretty
independent on this threads subject. If that part is really useful,
people will help you on problem one. Postpone. :)
Ok, back to your problem. Seperation is the way to go. Problem one
is a hard one and it takes a lot of time to do right. But hacking it
up is quite simple, so you can save time with the hack and do it right
only if your solution to problem two proved good enough.

Yes - that's what I'm now doing. Just now I'm going to reboot my machine (<grr>) and try if EXPORT_SYMBOL(sys_open) works as I think it should ;)

Anyway - thanks for hints.

--
Libor Vanek