Re: The survival of ide-scsi in 2.6.x

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Sat Jan 03 2004 - 09:19:42 EST

Willem Riede wrote:
I know that many feel that ide-scsi is useless, and should go away.
And you are probably tired of message threads talking about it.
Yet I ask respectfully that you hear me out, and give me feedback.

I need ide-scsi to survive. Why? I maintain osst, a driver for
OnStream tape drives, which need special handling. These drives
exist in SCSI, ATAPI, USB and IEEE1394 versions.

In the spirit of cleaning up one's own mess, I am working on a new
patch, to hopefully alleviate the problems. I've made liberal use of the attachments to the osdl bug reports [1]-[4] created by Mike Christie and a patch from Philip Auld [10], to give credit
where it is due. I've also looked at ide-cd to see what it does differently.

Linus states in [7] that ide-scsi needs a maintainer. I haven't seen anyone step forward, so that leads me to believe I may be the only person that depends enough on ide-scsi to be motivated?

If people will have me, I am prepared to take on that responsibility.
I am just concerned that I may not have enough of a variety of devices
to be able to thoroughly test it (unless the DI-30 is the only one :-)).
What do people see as the requirements to be able to maintain ide-scsi?

Sounds good to me, here we have someone who has both the need, the ambition, and the time to do this. Users of tape and MO still have need for ide-scsi, and would be happy to help test at least.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc