Re: udev and devfs - The final word

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Sat Jan 03 2004 - 20:56:57 EST

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 20:16:26 EST, Mark Mielke said:

> It seems to me that as long as /dev is always a local mount (tmpfs in
> the case of an NFS-root installation), it doesn't really matter. Maintaining
> system-specific information on a remote machine seems dirty, and something
> that shouldn't be *expected* to work. You wouldn't expect /proc to work
> over NFS, would you? :-)

ISTR that SunOS 4.0 handled an NFS-mounted /dev and swap just fine some 15
years ago? (in fact, due to performance differences between the disks on a Sun3/
2xx server and the shoebox disk on a 3/50, you could page faster over the net
than to a local /dev/swap).

So it's more a case of "we have decided to do it differently" than "that's so nuts
that it shouldn't be expected to work"....