Re: xterm scrolling speed - scheduling weirdness in 2.6 ?!

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Sun Jan 04 2004 - 07:47:13 EST

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 22:13, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 10:49, Con Kolivas wrote:
> > > I added a fprintf(stderr, "%d\n", amount); to that code and indeed
> > > amount was *always* 1 no matter what I did (it even was 1 when the
> > > (dmesg/...) output came in fast). And jump scrolling would take place
> > > if amount > 59 in my case... can this still be not a schedulers issue ?
> > >

> > > Looking at that how can it not be a scheduling problem ....
> >
> > Scheduling problem, yes; of a sort.
> >
> > Solution by altering the scheduler, no.
> >
> > My guess is that turning the xterm graphic candy up or down will change
> > the balance. Trying to be both gui intensive and a console is where it's
> > happening. On some hardware you are falling on both sides of the fence
> > with 2.6 where previously you would be on one side.
>
> So its Ok for 'eye candy' to 'lag', but xmms should not skip? Anyhow,
> its xterm that he have issues with, not gnome-terminal or such with
> transparency. I smell something ...

Sigh...

Xmms was a simple test case long forgotten but most still think all I did was
make an xmms scheduler. Deleting one character from sched.c before all of my
patches would make the scheduler ideal for xmms. Any braindead idiot can tune
a scheduler for just one application. An application that changes it's
behaviour dynamically well in the setting of a particular scheduler, though?
Should a scheduler be tuned to suit a coding style or quirk?

I should go back to lurking before people start calling me names. This thread
has gone long enough for that. If I hadn't said anything it would have died
out by now. Instead I'm drawing attention to my fundamentally flawed code.

Con