APM and ACPI sleep issues with 2.6

From: Ross Burton
Date: Sun Jan 04 2004 - 11:05:01 EST

Hi,

I've just built 2.6.1-rc1-mm1, and am using it on my IBM ThinkPad X22.
However, it not won't sleep when I shut the lid.

With 2.4.22 (from debian sid's kernel package) APM works, and will
suspend-to-RAM when I shut the lid, and wake up again cleanly. As that
worked well I never got around to configuring ACPI.

With 2.6.1-rc1-mm, when I shut the lid with APM enabled nothing
happens. No messages on the console, nothing.

With ACPI and "echo 3 > /proc/bus/acpi/sleep" in the relevant acpid
file, shutting the lid results in at least a partial sleep, but it won't
resume. The power button was also non-responsive at this point, and I
had to remove the battery to reboot.

So, what can I do to debug this problem? APM not working is a
regression over 2.4.22, which is sad.

Thanks for any help,
Ross
(please CC: me, I'm not on this list)