Re: xterm scrolling speed - scheduling weirdness in 2.6 ?!

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Sun Jan 04 2004 - 19:49:59 EST

Willy Tarreau wrote:

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 03:12:57AM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 11:24:39AM +0100, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:

[...]

Or, out of interest, an alternate scheduler?

http://www.kerneltrap.org/~npiggin/w29p2.gz
(applies 2.6.1-rc1-mm1, please renice X to -10 or so)

Thats nothing *I* can try out as I am on the powerpc benh tree.

Says who? The scheduler isn't platform specific. Nick, do you have any per
arch defines in your patch?

I found slight changes to arch specific files, but IMHO this should not be
the problem. But AFAIR, benh's ppc patches are somewhat complete and may
introduce conflicts.

The problem is just that the mm tree is currently carrying some
intrusive (patch wise, not functionality wise) scheduler stuff
which will go to linus which is why I am working from there. So
the patch will only apply cleanly on the mm tree, but only because
of the cleanups + minor fixes. Nothing fundamental.

BTW, for Nick, the patch didn't compile, I had to change sched_clock()
definition from unsigned long long to unsigned long in
arch/i386/kernel/timers/timer_tsc.c. Don't know if it was the right thing to
do, but it compiles and boots.

Yeah thats right