Subject: Linux Hardware Nightmare!

From: Reza Roboubi
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 06:02:16 EST

I do not at all think that Linux should support all (crappy) hardware
that is out there. It is perfectly okay with me, if Linux supports a
decent selection of properly designed hardware, and does it
_flawlessly_. "Flawless" is what Linux, for the most part, is known
for anyway.

However, I have had this TERRIBLE X-freeze problem with my machine.
After _much_ research, I realized that it is probably a bug (hardware
or driver related) that will never go away :(

You see, I have some VIA chips, and they seem buggy (or Linux does.)
I found posts such as this:
http://groups.google.ca/groups?q=linux+hardware+excuse+wearing+thin&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=20010329071729.B16495_auckland.ac.nz%40ns.sol.net&rnum=1

plus _many_ more VIA "DMA bug" related posts. Could not read them
all.

I tried the suggestions that I could, like hdparm -d0 to turn off DMA on
my disk. The bug _always_ persisted. This is despite the fact that
my machine is _much_ better behaved under Win98!!

NOW: That is behind me! I have decided to buy a new system. But
understandably, I _really_ need a FULLY Linux compliant system. You
know, something that doesn't crash. I know I'm not asking too much,
and Linux can make me just as happy as it has made countless others.

But I go to RedHat Hardware compatibility list, and voila: No
motherboards listed:
http://www.redhat.com/software/rhl9_hcl.html
Please understand: ALL I am asking for, is an actual listing of
product IDs that will not freeze/crash under Linux. But the RedHat
site does not appear to list even _one_ RH9 compatible motherboard.
So how can I _possibly_ be expected to make a decision?

I would be very grateful, and you would make my new year a really
happy one, if you help me just a bit.

Kindly give _exact_ motherboard names/numbers, that you know work
_flawlessly_ with Linux. Other hardware NOT listed on the RedHat
site: RAM, Hard, Mouse, Keyboard, CDROM. What do we do about those?
Part numbers? Please suggest.

This particular machine will be on the cheap end: no super fancy games
or anything, and no cutting edge features are necessary. Main use:
software development. Reasonably fast PC (2.6 GHz),
but very _very_ stable, and reliable. Fully Linux ready.

Thank you for all help in advance.

Regards, Reza.