Re: file system technical comparisons

From: Hans Reiser
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 06:06:44 EST

You can read www.namesys.com for a description of reiser4, and www.namesys.com/benchmarks.html for some benchmarks.

There are no well done independent benchmarks unfortunately.

Of my competitors, and not considering ReiserFS (about which I am not objective), I would say that if you don't have really large files and don't have any large directories, ext3 offers the best performance.

If you have large streaming files, look at XFS. Don't use XFS for files smaller than 100k, as the last time I tested against it its metadata updates tended to be slow, and that starts to matter at <100k file sizes.

JFS has never done very well in the benchmarks I run, which is why I tend to compare us mostly to ext3.

If you are willing to consider ReiserFS, V3 is the journaling filesystem that has been out for the longest, and receives the least updates (we are all working on V4), so it is the most stable. I'll let others comment on its performance.

V4 is far higher performance than V3, but not quite fully stable yet. Some brave people are using it though. Hopefully we will ship something stable this month.

Hans

venom@xxxxxx wrote:

http://www.linux-mag.com/2002-10/jfs_01.html

On some point it could be discussed, but it is a good starting point.

if you know italian, I will send you another article published in three part
on Linux&C (http://www.oltrelinux.com) about journaled filesystems available in
Linux kernel.

bests

Luigi