Re: system speed

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 10:48:17 EST

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Biplab Sarkar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to this list. I have a question would be
> greatful if anyone answers it.
>
> I have observed that my linux PC (Celeron-633Mhz) runs
> significantly slow after I have installed Mandrake-9.2
> which has kernel (2.4.22). My earlier kernel was
> 2.2.22 (mandrake 7.2). The speed seems to be slow
> right from the bootup sequence.
>
> I have also observed that if I do an abnormal shutdown
> of the system (by pressing the reset button of the
> computer) the system speeds up significantly somewhat
> comparable to my old kernel speed. Right from the
> bootup sequence every thing runs fast.
>
> I have also observed that the CPU utilization is very
> high for case when the I try a normal shutdown
> followed by a bootup. I could not see any single
> process that would be hogging the CPU. It seems like
> any process that gets the CPU likes to hog the CPU.
>

> Any idea what is it that is causing the system to run
> faster when we have an abnormal shutdown of the
> system?
>
> Thanks,
> Biplab

After you hit the reset button, the BIOS will perform a cold-boot
which means everything gets initialized from scratch. Aside from
the file-system rebuild that occurs when you improperly shut-down
a system, there should be no additional history and, therefore,
no difference in performance before and after your shutdown sequence.

If you execute `top` you should clearly see what process, if any,
is hogging the CPU.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.22 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).