Re: xterm scrolling speed - scheduling weirdness in 2.6 ?!

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 13:39:21 EST

Hi Nick,

during a kernel compilation today while browsing the net on another
virtual screen, I noticed extremely long delays to redraw the screen.
My setup is the following :
- kernel 2.6.1-rc1-mm1 + w29p2
- X either reniced to -10 or 0 (doesnt make a difference)
- window maker
- opera open on a fairly simple page (marc.theaimsgroup.com) in VS 1
- 2 xterms on VS2
- 4 xterms in VS3, one of which runs make -j 3 bzImage, another one 'top'.

-> going from VS3 to VS2 then VS1 takes up to 5 or 6 seconds redrawing
parts of windows on each screen. I also noticed that make -j 8 dep
blocked the xterm it was run in for about a third of a second about
twice a second. It does not seem to slow the process however since
it takes the same amount of time as make -j 8 dep >/dev/null.

Cheers,
Willy