Re: udev and devfs - The final word

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 00:09:45 EST

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > Oh, don't look too closely at some pseudo-code, it's not like the code
> > would actually do that for a minor number. But for things like major
> > number allocation for disk devices, it might not be too far off. And we
> > migth even want to start off the minors at some "random" offset (obviously
> > while keeping the alignment right for the partition handling)
>
> True, but... Let me put it that way - entire area is a minefield and
> I would really like to avoid nasty surprises from "obvious" patches,
> what with having just spent 4 months dealing with the fallout from one
> such beast.

Hey, it's entirely possible that we won't be able to do it at _all_ during
2.7.x, since it would require that all the distributions have started
using udev or equivalent. Which is by no means certain at all. It's
possible that just lack of ubiqutous infrastructure will mean that it
would be too painful to even try this in a few months..

Do don't worry too much.

Linus