Re: 2.4.24 and exec-shield-2.4.23-G4

From: Dr. Greg Wettstein
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 02:52:19 EST

On Jan 5, 9:36pm, Philip Dodd wrote:
} Subject: 2.4.24 and exec-shield-2.4.23-G4

> Hi all,

Good evening, hope the day is going well for everyone.

> Just a quick query - I rebuilt the kernel on one of the machines here
> and I was running the previous 2.4.23 with Ingo's exec-shield patch. I
> got the same patch (2.4.23-G4) to apply pretty easily (the mmremap hunk
> applied with an offset, only the makefile failed, patched by hand) and
> was just wondering if it is reasonable to assume the mmremap patch in
> 2.4.24 won't impact the exec-shield patch. The patch in question is
> attached here.
>
> I'm a bit of a neopyhte, but a quick look through the code didn't
> suggest that it would have any leathal effect. Am I wrong and will my
> PC catch fire overnight because of this? :-D

The preliminary indications I have indicate there are problems.

I applied the 2.4.23-G4 patch from Ingo with the same results you had,
ie the the mmremap offset and Makefile failures. Compiled and
rebooted the kernel on a test machine.

XFree86 4.3.0 with the RedHat patches now fails to start with a SIG11
error. Turning off exec-shield (echoing 0 to
/proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield) enables XFree to start normally.

So it would seem that something changed with the mremap changes in
2.4.24.

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Phil

Have a good day.

Greg

}-- End of excerpt from Philip Dodd

As always,
Dr. G.W. Wettstein, Ph.D. Enjellic Systems Development, LLC.
4206 N. 19th Ave. Specializing in information infra-structure
Fargo, ND 58102 development.
PH: 701-281-1686
FAX: 701-281-3949 EMAIL: greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx