ext3 corruption w/ kernels > 2.4.19

From: wwp
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 08:52:29 EST

Hi,

using a Dell Inspiron 8200 and a SuSE 8.1, I encounter ext3 fs data losses.
Some directories are often corrupted and I need to fsck manually when I found
some missing or altered files.
It seems that only a small set of possible directories are concerned (a limited
range of inodes).

I only get such fs corruption using vanilla kernel 2.4.21-23, when I reboot or
shutdown the machine. I could not figure out if the corruption occurs ar shutdown
or startup :-\. Scanning the harddisk for bad blocks never returned positive
results and ysing the SuSE's default 2.4.19, I never encounter such problems.

Does anyone have an idea of where is the problem, or where I could look
for or what kind of information I could report?

Regards,

--
wwp