Re: Kconfig entryf or Pegasus USB Ethernet device

From: David T Hollis
Date: Tue Jan 06 2004 - 19:29:31 EST

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 18:51, Sergio Vergata wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just a small hint for USB Ethernet device.
>
> I only have 1000Mbit card and for testing purpose an External USB
> Ethernetdongle, so why should I build Ethernet 10 /100 Mbit when i only need
> an USB Network adapter.
>
> So if I'm right this should work too just like the other devices too.

The NET_ETHERNET config option is just for Kconfig and does not have an
impact on the resulting kernel. It does make more semantic sense to
have Pegasus, usbnet, etc use the NET_ETHERNET option as they are
Ethernet devices, not some type of generic network device.
Additionally, depending on how you configure usbnet, it will require MII
which also depends on NET_ETHERNET, so you would wind up that way
anyway.

--
David T Hollis <dhollis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>