Re: udev and devfs - The final word

From: Olaf Hering
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 08:02:03 EST

On Wed, Jan 07, viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 11:15:59AM +0100, Olaf Hering wrote:
> > Now, thats just fine and it was always been that way.
> > What if I chroot into /foo, proc is mounted on /foo/proc,
> > and run fsck /dev/sda3 in that chroot?
> > That silly app looks for /etc/mtab (oh my...) and start the work.
> > Fine. Now, /dev/root is in reality /dev/sda3. Bad for me.
>
> Huh?

For short: noone knows that /dev/sda3 is busy/used.

> Note that you're not only adding ad-hackery (which filesystems get that
> major:minor printed and which do not?), you *STILL* hadn't solved your
> problem. Why? Because you still won't catch e.g. ext3 on /dev/sda5 with
> external journal on /dev/sda3. And if you hack parsing ext3 lines in
> /proc/mounts, there's always reiserfs, jfs, etc., etc. _And_ there's
> RAID with the same problems wrt. access to components. Real funny
> when you have raid0 on md0, have md0 mounted and try to fsck one of
> components.

That makes sense. Is there a sane way to inform userland apps that some
stuff is used (mounted, part of a volume group or raid)? Sure, the raid
or lvm specific tools will tell you...

> Scanning /etc/mtab or /proc/mounts in such situations is wrong. If fsck
> is doing that, it's broken. The right way to fix it depends on what you
> really want and whatever the hell it is, putting new and new fs-specific
> code that would parse /proc/mounts lines into fsck(8) is not an answer.

Ok, it was mkfs.minix and an older distro. But still, is '/dev/root' or
'/dev/fred' really correct?

--
USB is for mice, FireWire is for men!

sUse lINUX ag, nÃRNBERG