Re: scheduling problems in X with 2.6.0

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 10:32:13 EST

martin f krafft wrote:

Hi all,

Ever since I moved to 2.6.0, I have been experiencing something I'd
like to call scheduling problems while working in X. I have tried
using preemptive mode, and turning it off, but the symptoms are the
same:

whenever there is continuous disk access (e.g. tar, rsync, dd),
X will not respond for a couple of seconds every couple of seconds.
With that I mean that the mouse will freeze as well as all screen
output, and then resume after a couple of seconds.

I wonder if I am the only one with that problem. The machine in
question is a dual AMD 2400+ with 2Gb of RAM and a Maxtor DiamondMax
drive spinning at 7200 RPM. The drive is configured as follows
(hdparm):

Can you post 20 or so lines of 'vmstat 1' captured while the problem is
happening? See if you can see which lines correspond to X freezing (ie.
watch the xterm), but that might be impossible if everything freezes.