Re: kernel buildsystem broken on RO medium

From: Sam Ravnborg
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 15:32:33 EST

> Wow now works but tell me, how to do make mrproper if /usr/src/linux-2.6.1 is really read-only?
> I'm asking because I want to build rpms with kernel modules from non-root and root can have
> non-mrproper state in /usr/src/linux-2.6.1.

There is no way to do this, other than take a copy of the SRC.
It was not possible to let kbuild support building a kernel when the kernel
tree contained generated files.
I do not remember the details, but the main issue was with generated .c
files. If a generated .c file were present in the kernel src, it would
not be generated aging in the separate output directory.
Usually this is not too much of a big deal, but it could result in potential
erros later on.
There were also problems with _shipped support and generated .h files,
but I do not recall the details.

In the 2.7 timeframe I plan to be a bit more restrictive on use of -I
directive to gcc, hereby hopefully enabling more consistent behaviour
all over the kernel.

Sam