Re: removable media revalidation - udev vs. devfs or static /dev

From: viro
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 19:44:11 EST

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 11:31:55AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> NOTE! We do have an alternative: if we were to just make block device
> nodes support "readdir" and "lookup", you could just do
>
> open("/dev/sda/1" ...)
>
> and it magically works right. I've wanted to do this for a long time, but
> every time I suggest allowing it, people scream.

... and do so for a good reason.

Guys, could we please put the entire thing on hold for a week or so?
There's stuff around the block hotplug that would simplify a lot in
that area and I'd rather see partitioning code (and bdev code in general,
for that matter) not messed with until we do that right.

Some of that is already in -mm, some should go in shortly and it can
make a lot of kludges unnecessary.