Re: removable media revalidation - udev vs. devfs or static /dev

From: Joel Becker
Date: Thu Jan 08 2004 - 22:39:27 EST

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 10:57:00AM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> Hm, that would work, but what about a user program that just polls on
> the device, as the rest of this thread discusses? As removable devices
> are not the "norm" it would seem a bit of overkill to create 16
> partitions for every block device, if they need them or not.

Um, adding all 16 partitions for a block device that has 5
defined is opposite of the intention of udev, no? While I'd prefer the
partition code in-kernel provide hotplug events for each partition, if
it is instead scanned by udev, udev should indeed scan the partition
table. Remember, udev should be able to give the appropriate
system-defined names for the partition, not just 'sda1'.

Joel

--

"Gone to plant a weeping willow
On the bank's green edge it will roll, roll, roll.

Joel Becker
Senior Member of Technical Staff
Oracle Corporation
E-mail: joel.becker@xxxxxxxxxx