Re: PATCH 1/2: Make gotoxy & siblings use unsigned variables

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Fri Jan 09 2004 - 14:23:54 EST

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Nigel Cunningham wrote:

> This patch makes console X and Y coordinates unsigned, rather than
> signed. Issues with wide (> 128 char?) consoles, seen when developing
> Software Suspend's 'nice display' are thus fixed. A brief examination of
> related code showed that this use of signed variables was the exception
> rather than the rule.
>
> Regards,
>
> Nigel
[SNIPPED...]

Question: Shouldn't we be using "size_t" for unsigned int, and
"ssize_t" for signed? If the "ints" are going to be changed,
they probably should be changed only once. As I recall, size_t
was the largest unsigned int that would fit into a register and
ssize_t was the largest signed int that would fit.

Cheers,

Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.22 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).