Re: [autofs] [RFC] Towards a Modern Autofs

From: Mike Waychison
Date: Fri Jan 09 2004 - 15:18:58 EST

--------------enigF4228D656386ADD7393EF64B

H. Peter Anvin wrote:

>trond.myklebust@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>

>>Finally, because the upcall is done in the user's own context, you avoid
>>the whole problem of automounter credentials that are a constant plague
>>to all those daemon-based implementations when working in an environment
>>where you have strong authentication.
>>If anyone wants evidence of how broken the whole daemon thing is, then see
>>the workarounds that had to be made in RFC-2623 to disable strong
>>authentication for GETATTR etc. on the NFSv2/v3 mount point.
>>

>It's not broken as much as what you want to do is outside the scope of
>automount. automount is one particular user of these facilities, and as
>you correctly point out, it can't solve the problems for all of them.
>The right thing for AFS and NFSv4 is clearly to do something different.

If automount is going to be mounting NFS shares for users, I don't see
how this is out of scope.

>Mount traps by themselves are not sufficient for automount, which is why
>I think we will always have a special "autofs" filesystem, for the
>simple reason that automount in typical use doesn't either have an a
>priori complete list of directories! Even with ghosting you might find
>that you're accessing a new key which has not yet been ghosted, and it
>needs to be handled correctly. Additionally, not all map types can be
>enumerated, and some aren't even finite in size (consider /net, program
>maps and wildcard map entries.) Thus, for indirect mountpoints you
>still need a filesystem which can trap on non-enumerated entries.

Yup.

>That being said, mount traps in particular, and possibly this "trap
>filesystem" are more generic kernel facilities which should be of use to
>other things than automount. AFS/NFSv4 are the obvious examples, quite
>possibly other things like intermezzo might be interested, and we don't
>want to have to reinvent the wheel every time.

I could see AFS using these mounttraps, however I don't see any benefit
for NFS. If anything, the migration issue is about getting rid of the
daemon, not mounttraps. The issues I think Trond is putting forward are:

a) The kernel needs to initiate a remount, but doesn't have nameservice
functionality.

b) User credentials are needed to perform the initial mount itself
because some servers don't allow non-authenticated calls to the MOUNT
program, keeping the system from grabbing a root filehandle.

--
Mike Waychison
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

NOTICE: The opinions expressed in this email are held by me,
and may not represent the views of Sun Microsystems, Inc.

--------------enigF4228D656386ADD7393EF64B