Re: Cannot boot after new Kernel Build

From: Alex
Date: Sat Jan 10 2004 - 10:44:34 EST

Hi,
I tried changing the fstab, removing the LABLE from the grub.conf, removing initrd from it and also tried to boot with /dev/hda3. Nothing works, still the same problem.

Alex

Christian Kivalo wrote:

Hi,
I am trying to build a new kernel but what ever version 2.4.24, 2.6.0,
2.6.1 i am trying to build I come across the same problem.

when doing a "make install" i get the following error.

/dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such file or directlry
Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
Comman failed.

I have installed the lates packages
device mapper 1.00.07
initscripts 7.28.1
modutils, lvm2.2.00.08
mkinitrd-3.5.15.1-2

If I just ignore the message and try to boot the machine with the new
kernel then I get a Kernel Panic.

VFS: Cannot open root device "LABEL=/" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic: VFS: Unapble to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0).

The boot command in grub is
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.1 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
initrd /initrd-2.6.1.img

It is basically the same (except the version) as I use for
2.4.20-28 so
I assume the label is correct.

I saw quite a few messages of similar type but no real answer to the
problem. Any Ideas what it could be ? I am using RH9.0

hi!

as mentioned in this thread
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=107330398724534&w=2) a
few days ago, christophe saout wrote: "LABEL= is a RedHat extension.
Please use the normal root options that is described in the Grub or
kernel documentation."
rik van riel mentioned: "It's not even a Red Hat extension. The LABEL=
stuff is done entirely in userspace, on the initrd.

If you do not want to use an initrd, you need to use the normal root
options instead, something like root=/dev/hda3" that thread also offers
some information to the problem."

have you created an initrd? if not, comment that line out of your grub
config.

you can leave your fstab like it is, using labels in fstab is ok.

hth
christian

Thanks
Alex