Re: Strange IDE performance change in 2.6.1-rc1 (again)

From: Paolo Ornati
Date: Sat Jan 10 2004 - 12:32:30 EST

On Saturday 10 January 2004 17:00, Ed Sweetman wrote:

> I'm using 2.6.0-mm1 and i see no difference from setting readahead to
> anything on my extent enabled partitions. So it appears that filesystem
> plays a big part in your numbers here, not just hdd attributes or
> settings.
>
> The partition FILE is on is an ext3 + extents enabled partition. Despite
> not having fadvise (what is this anyway?) the numbers are all real and
> no error occured. Extents totally rocks for this type of data access, as
> you can see below.
>
> Stick to non-fs tests if you want to benchmark fs independent code. Not
> everyone is going to be able to come up with the same results as you and
> as such a possible fix could actually be detrimental, and we'd be stuck
> in a loop of "ide regression" mails.

To run correctly my script you _MUST_ have "fadvise" tool (my script assumes
it is installed in current directory).

This is what Andrew said:
You'll need to unmount and remount the fs in between to remove the file
from pagecache. Or use fadvise() to remove the pagecache. There's a
little tool which does that in

http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/patches/stuff/ext3-tools.tar.gz

so "fadvise" is a simple tool that calls "fadvise64" system call.
This system call lets you do some useful things: for example you can discard
all the cached pages for a file, that is what my command does.

--
Paolo Ornati
Linux v2.4.24