Re: [2.6.1] atkbd.c: Unknown key released

From: Vojtech Pavlik
Date: Sat Jan 10 2004 - 14:41:22 EST

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 07:31:16PM +0100, Rudo Thomas wrote:

> Hello.
>
> This line shows up twice in dmesg when starting up X.
>
> atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x7a on isa0060/serio0).
>
> Tried with 2.6.1, 2.6.1-mm1. It does not happen in 2.6.0, IIRC. I don't seem to
> be able to reproduce the message by pressing any combination on keyboard.
>
> Full dmesg output is atteched.

This is a bug in X. It talks directly to the keyboard controller. And
that's a rather nasty one. I got a couple reports of "My keyboard stops
working in X", and this is exactly why. X can rather easily confuse the
controller by talking to it in parallel with the kernel driver.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR