Re: tulip driver: errors instead TX packets?

From: Piotr Kaczuba
Date: Sat Jan 10 2004 - 15:30:35 EST

Jeff Garzik wrote:
Piotr Kaczuba wrote:

I've got a ADMtek Centaur (3cSOHO100B-TX) running with the tulip driver on 2.6.1. I wonder if anyone has noticed that ifconfig shows the packets sent in the errors field instead of the TX packets field. At least, this is what I assume because it shows 0 TX packets and 11756 errors.

This is an old error, but since packets show up, nobody bothers with the incorrect statistics...

It seems that the error lies in the following piece of code from drivers/net/tulip/interrupt.c, function tulip_interrupt. I've inserted an additional printk after the "if (status & 0x8000)" and it looks like normal operation of the nic is considered as an major error by the driver because my printk appeared in dmesg output right after bringing the interface up. I assume that the else branch is never executed although I didn't test what happens if an transmit error really happens. I wonder if a fix for this problem consists of just changing the value of the AND mask but I have no idea what the right value would be.

if (status & 0x8000) {
/* There was an major error, log it. */
#ifndef final_version
if (tulip_debug > 1)
printk(KERN_DEBUG "%s: Transmit error, Tx status %8.8x.\n",
dev->name, status);
#endif
tp->stats.tx_errors++;
if (status & 0x4104) tp->stats.tx_aborted_errors++;
if (status & 0x0C00) tp->stats.tx_carrier_errors++;
if (status & 0x0200) tp->stats.tx_window_errors++;
if (status & 0x0002) tp->stats.tx_fifo_errors++;
if ((status & 0x0080) && tp->full_duplex == 0)
tp->stats.tx_heartbeat_errors++;
} else {
tp->stats.tx_bytes +=
tp->tx_buffers[entry].skb->len;
tp->stats.collisions += (status >> 3) & 15;
tp->stats.tx_packets++;
}

Piotr Kaczuba