Re: Q re /proc/bus/i2c

From: J. Ryan Earl
Date: Sat Jan 10 2004 - 18:58:23 EST

Gene Heskett wrote:

Even with 2.6, you need to install the lm-sensors package, but not
the i2c package as the kernel already has everything needed in it. The lm-sensors packages contains drivers for all the sensor chips. After you get lm-sensors installed on your current kernel, run
sensors-detect to get the proper modules loaded for your hardware.

-ryan

Reread the README in lm_sensors-2.8.2. I've followed that, except that a make user_install apparently only goes thru the motions without reporting any errors.

Been there, done that, a dozen times maybe?

OK, I'm going to try this on 2.6. The sensor I use isn't in the kernel: asb100 (Asus's ASIC).

I know for a fact the 2.6 doesn't support nearly as many sensors as the lm-sensors package, but I never tried getting it all setup on 2.6 since 2.6 hasn't been stable enough for what I needed it for. I thought that lm-sensors merely used the in-kernel i2c interface but provided it's own driver modules. I realize that the documentation says to build only the user utilities, but I thought that was just an error. I let portage take care of all the details.

-ryan