Re: SoundBlaster 64 AWE and 2.6.1-mm1?

From: Rene Herman
Date: Sun Jan 11 2004 - 01:13:55 EST

Joseph Pingenot wrote:

For some reason, while pnp detects the SoundBlaster card, it's not
recognized by ALSA for some reason, exactly as the CS4236 card was
(different machine, tho).
Am I missing something? Anyone using SoundBlaster 64 AWE under 2.6?

Yes, I am. If ALSA comletely ignores the card, it's likely that it
simply does not know it _should_ be driving it, that is, that it doesn't
list your card's PnP ID. You can check your card's ID(s) at:

cat /sys/bus/pnp/devices/01:??.O{0,1,2}

Example for my AWE64:

rene@7ixe4:~$ cat /sys/bus/pnp/devices/01:01.00/id
CTL0044
rene@7ixe4:~$ cat /sys/bus/pnp/devices/01:01.01/id
CTL7002
PNPb02f
rene@7ixe4:~$ cat /sys/bus/pnp/devices/01:01.02/id
CTL0023

That second device is the gameport and will be picked up by ns558.c
through the "compatible device" PNPb02f ID, but you'll need the 00
(SB/MPU/OPL part) and the 02 ID (wavetable) listed in
sound/isa/sb/sb16.c. Add them to the snd_sb16_pnpids[] table in that file.

Hope this helps,
Rene.