Re: kernel 2.6: can't get 3c575/PCMCIA working - other PCMCIA card work

From: martin f krafft
Date: Sun Jan 11 2004 - 07:33:34 EST

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

also sprach Russell King <rmk+lkml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2004.01.11.1300 +0100]:
> > Orinico Wireless LAN (wvlan_cs)
> > 3COM 3c575 (3c575_cs)
> > Psion Gold Card Modem (serial_cs)
>
> What is 3c575_cs ? I think you actually mean 3c574_cs. Or maybe you
> mean you have a 3com 3ccfe575 Cardbus card? The above is rather too
> ambiguous.

The card is a 3CCFE575BT-D. Under 2.4 with Hinds' pcmcia-cs modules,
the driver was called 3c575_cs. Under 2.6 with the kernel drivers,
only 3c574_cs exists. I assumed that 3c574_cs would also support the
3c575_cs, but I guess I am wrong.

A 3CCFE574BT works just fine with 574_cs (although upon removal,
ifconfig will hang in the 'D' state forever. I guess that's
a separate issue though. I will research this and post another time.

> > However, the 3c575 card won't be recognised. All
> > I get from the hotplug system is:
> >
> > pci.agent: ... no modules for PCI slot 0000:06:00.0
>
> This indicates that the card you inserted is a Cardbus card. In which
> case, the PCMCIA driver "3c574_cs" is definitely not what you want.
> You want to use the 3c59x driver, though the hotplug subsystem should
> automatically pick that up from the PCI ids.

Interesting. Well, I do not have 3c59x compiled in the kernel.
I shall do this and find out.

> Could you insert the card, and then provide the output of lspci -vx ?

ftp://ftp.madduck.net/scratch/3c575-lspci.gz [1.5Kb]

Thanks for your time!

--
martin; (greetings from the heart of the sun.)

invalid/expired pgp subkeys? use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

until lions have their historians,
tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter.
-- african proverb