Re: 2.6.1 and irq balancing

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Sun Jan 11 2004 - 23:51:07 EST

Nakajima, Jun wrote:

2.6 kernels don't need a patch to it as far as I understand. Are you
saying that with significant amount of load, you did not see any
distribution of interrupts? Today's threshold in the kernel is high
because we found moving around interrupts frequently rather hurt the
cache and thus lower the performance compared to "do nothing". Can you
try to create significant load with your network (eth0 and eh1) and see
what happens?

How much is significant? The term doesn't really help much. I will say that with one NIC taking 120MB/sec of data to a TB database and copying to two other machine (~220MB) my interrupts got up in in the 5k-12k range with essentially CPU0 doing the work, some few percent going to CPU2.

I'm not sure this is a problem in any way, but some serious load is needed to trigger sharing, if indeed the NIC was the source of the ints on CPU2.

2x Xeon-2.4GHz, HT enabled. "CPU2" from memory, it was the other physical CPU, not another sibling. Worked fine, didn't break, don't regard it as a problem.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc