Re: SMP or UP???

From: DervishD
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 07:27:24 EST

Hi Mikael :)

* Mikael Pettersson <mikpe@xxxxxxxxx> dixit:
> >kernel: found SMP MP-table at 000fb210
> > What, SMP table?
> You have an anti-problem. The chipset includes an I/O-APIC
> (good) and your mobo manufacturer was decent enough to include
> the appropriate BIOS MP tables to describe it to the OS.

Oh, nice. I thought that the mobo was a simple reisuing of a SMP
mobo from Gigabyte with one socket removed O:)

> Other manufacturers skip the MP table, forcing you to enable
> ACPI and pray it actually works.

Excuse my ignorance but: why a UP system needs the MP table? Why
the I/O-APIC needs anything related with multiprocessor in an UP
system?. I lost my way on hardware back in the 486, I think...

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736