Re: 2.6.1: modprobe behaves strange

From: David T Hollis
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 15:20:04 EST

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 15:11, Detlef Grittner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using the x86_64 architecture branch and have simply copied the
> kernel into my configuration of a 2.4.21 kernel.
>
> I have the following lines in /etc/modules.conf:
>
> alias eth0 r8169
>
> alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
>
> With the 2.4.21 kernel everything worked fine, with the 2.6.1 kernel I
> get the following behavior:
>
> modprobe eth0
> (no error, but r8169 not loaded)
>
> modprobe r8169
> (module r8169 is loaded and works)
>
> modprobe snd-card-0
> (FATAL: Modul snd_card_0 not found)
>
> modprobe snd-via82xx
> (module snd-via82xx is loaded and works)

Seems that you do have module_init_tools so you are fine there, but you
are editing /etc/modules.conf. On a 2.6 kernel using module_init_tools,
you need to use /etc/modprobe.conf.

So we've gone from conf.modules to modules.conf to modprobe.conf. Keeps
things interesting!

--
David T Hollis <dhollis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>