Re: 2.6.1mm2: very bad interactive behaviour under XFree86

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 18:17:05 EST

Jens Benecke wrote:

Hi,

running an up-to-date XFree86 4.3 from Debian unstable, I have a stuck mouse
pointer in X11 every time some application uses 100% CPU. I have
folding@home running in the background at nice 19, which doesn't disturb
anything, but when my machine starts up the following happens:

- KDE 3.2 boots up,
- openoffice quickstart,
- KGpg reads a couple thousand keys,
- xmms, xosview, background picture, etc load up
- about 10 cm worth of applets in the KDE panel start

During this time (20-30sec) the mouse pointer jerks from position to
position about once to twice a second. My X server runs at priority 0, not
-10, as recommended. This has been the case since 2.6.0-test11, but I have
the (subjective) impression that under 2.6.1rc1-mm1 and 2.6.1-mm2 it got
worse.

mm kernels have a small interactivity change, so it would be good to
compare with plain 2.6.1.

It is recommended that your X server run at priority 0. The -10
priority is recommended when using my interactivity patches. Its all
quite confusing.

I am using an Athlon XP 2600+ with 1024MB RAM, Nforce2 chipset, NVIDIA
XFree86 drivers.

Shall I try vanilla 2.6.1 and compare? Or is this an obvious problem?

Please try 2.6.1