Re: Proposed enhancements to MD

From: Luca Berra
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 17:53:12 EST

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 01:44:05PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
And I could have _sworn_ that Neil already posted a patch to do partitions in md, but maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.
he did, and a long time ago also.
http://cgi.cse.unsw.edu.au/~neilb/patches/

IMO, your post/effort all boils down to an open design question: device mapper or md, for doing stuff like vendor-raid1 or vendor-raid5? And it is even possible to share (for example) raid5 engine among all the various vendor RAID5's?
I would believe the way to go is having md raid personalities turned
into device mapper targets.
the issue is that raid personalities need to be able to constantly
update the metadata, so a callback must be in place to communicate
`exceptions` to a layer that sits above device-mapper and handles
metadatas.

L.

--
Luca Berra -- bluca@xxxxxxxxxx