Re: Catch 22

From: Paulo Marques
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 13:45:40 EST

Randy.Dunlap wrote:

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 09:01:37 -0600 John Lash <jkl@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

| On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:40:03 +0000
| Michael Lothian <s0095670@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| | > Just thaought I'd let you know about my experiences with Mandrake using
| > the 2.4 and 2.6 kernels on my new hardware which is primaraly a Asus
| > A7V600 (KT600) Motherboard and Radeon 9600XT
| > is /dev/hde so there is no wasy way to switch between them with lilo and
| > /etc/fstab needing to be changed
| filesystems instead of the actual device names. Check out tune2fs -L. You then
| reference the volume label in your fstab.
| | With lilo, you can specify that boot disk and root disk on the command line.
| Also you can point lilo to a different config file using lilo -C. Not seamless
| but should allow you to bounce back and forth w/o editing files....

Does anyone know the reason for this (ATA ident/naming change)?

I do *not* see this and I'm also using Mandrake (v9.0, not later).

I guess the problem is that, by default, Mandrake creates an extended partition when installed, where all the other partitions go.

Whenever I install Mandrake, I'm always careful to switch to "Expert" mode and configure the partitions to be primary by hand to avoid this kind of problems.

If you are a corageous hacker, you can always:

- boot from a CD distribution (knoppix, etc.)
- run fdisk on your hard drive
- take note on the cylinders being used by the partitions,
- delete the partitions on the extended partition, and the extended partition itself
- create the partitions again as primary using the *exact* same cylinders
- write the partition to disk
- reboot

Probably you'll have to adjust fstab to use the new partitions, but at least 2.4 and 2.6 should both agree that you have an hda :)

I don't know if you'll need to run lilo again before rebooting, but I would do that just to be on the safe side. To do that:

- mount /dev/hda somewhere (/mnt/disk or something)
- # cd /mnt/disk
- edit etc/lilo.conf to always use /dev/hda
- # chroot . lilo

I hope this helps,

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com

"In a world without walls and fences who needs windows and gates?"