Re: [ANNOUNCE] udev 013 release

From: Greg KH
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 16:19:14 EST

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 03:47:15PM -0500, Chris Friesen wrote:
> Clay Haapala wrote:
>
> >Is the act of printing/syslogging a rule in an of itself?
>
> I haven't looked at the capabilities in a while. Can you specify a
> default rule if nothing else matches?

The "default rule" is to use the kernel name to name the device. That
one is built in.

> Can you, in one rule, specify another rule? (Kind of like iptables
> jump targets).

No.

> If so, then this would allow massive flexibility.

And massive complexity :)

Why would you want to have a rule specify another (in the current
syntax)? These rules aren't that complex, and anything that does grow
to be complex should be shoved out into a separate script/program that a
rule can then call.

Does this help?

thanks,

greg k-h