Re: VIA and NVIDIA

From: eddie tejeda
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 17:29:15 EST

i reply to you.. but in response to everyone's suggestions:

the workarounds that i said i tried are exactly those being suggested
here today.

i've done all the settings pertaining to acpi and apm.. also the one
about NvAGP..

> I could ssh in and use
> strace -p <pid of X server> and all I would see is constant calls
> to gettimeofday(). Nothing I would try worked.

when i do that i see.. nothing....

> Finally, I decided to swap the cards around. The X server would
> start up on my machine at work. I could log in. Usually, approx
> 3 minutes after booting, it would lock up with a similar signature
> to the above.

i've waited 15min... and have tried other vidcards.

..about max's suggestions.. PNP is disabled. dmesg shows no real
problems..

and to nuno.. i've tried those settings before.. (agpgart, no fb,etc)
tried them again before responding... nothing..

i dont know what to say..... i mean...not all configurations of hardware
are tested before being code being released. i may have just stumbled
upon a not so friendly config.. whether its
motherboard,bios,kernel,videocard,videodriver... i dont know..

i've recently set kernel to be as verbose as possible.. nothing
interesting is printed.. when i look at the logs everything is fine....
we can see in the log that the last thing is it does is set resolution..

Jan 14 16:29:12 applehead kernel: nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints
kernel.
Jan 14 16:29:12 applehead kernel: 0: nvidia: loading NVIDIA Linux x86
nvidia.o Kernel Module 1.0-5328 Wed Dec 17 13:54:51 PST 2003
Jan 14 16:29:13 applehead kernel: 0: NVRM: not using NVAGP, AGPGART is
loaded!!

and AGPGART is even working!

if it was up to the logs.. .everything is fine and dandy... its only me
who claims it not to be working.

-eddie