Re: Serial ATA (SATA) for Linux status report

From: Erik Steffl
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 18:20:37 EST

Greg Stark wrote:
Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

Intel ICH5

Issue #2: Excessive interrupts are seen in some configurations.

I guess I'm seeing this problem. I'm trying to get my P4P800 motherboard with
an ICH5 chipset working completely. So far I've been living without the cdrom
or DVD players. I see lots of other posts on linux-kernel about the same
problems:

Whenever I try to access the cdrom my system becomes unusable. Due to high
interrupts, typically over 150k/s. I thought libata would help, but I don't
understand how to use the PATA drive and the cdrom drives while I'm using it.

The situation is that I have two SATA drives, a PATA drive and two cdrom
drives (actually one CD burner and one DVD drive). They are

Primary Master: PATA Drive
Secondary Master: CD Burner
Secondary Slave: DVD-Rom
SATA-1: SATA Drive
SATA-2: SATA Drive

I've tried 2.4.23pre4 (no libata), 2.6.1 (IDE drivers), and 2.6.1 (with scsi
libata drivers) with the following results:

2.4.23pre4: as soon as the cdrom is touched I see bursts of 150k interrupts
per second and the system becomes unresponsive momentarily every few
seconds.

2.6.1 with regular IDE drivers: same as above except the system feels
responsive except for disk i/o. I see printks of "Disabling interrupt #18"
and all disk i/o freezes for a few seconds.

2.6.1 with scsi ata_piix driver: the SATA drives show up and work fine but the
PATA drive and the cdroms doesn't show up at all. This is true even when I
compile with the CONFIG_IDE, CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE, and CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD
enabled.

I have intel D865PERL, three IDE HDs, one CD burner, one SATA disk, using scsi ata, kernel 2.4.21-ac4 with libata5 patches (libata patches needed beacause SATA driver is over 133GB), seems to be working fine, I am not using CD burner very often but I didn't see any instability when I used it (read or burn CDs).

When I use cdparanoia to rip audio CDs the system is quite slow but that was always the case (even with different MB, no SATA, different kernels etc.)

Using SATA disk as IDE disk caused the system to freeze during boot (right after the HDs were detected)

erik