Re: modprobe failed: digest_null

From: Randy.Dunlap
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 18:54:38 EST

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 15:38:45 -0800 (PST) "David Rees" <drees@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> kernel: request_module: failed /sbin/modprobe -- digest_null. error = 256

Chris Wright tells me that this is a null digest crypto plugin
for testing. It might show up in your /etc/modprobe.conf file
(or it might not).

| request_module: failed /sbin/modprobe -- n. error = 256

This is looking for a module named "n". Don't know where that
comes from.

In both cases, error = 256 is 0x100, which is the value returned
from kernel/kmod.c::call_usermodehelper(), which execs /sbin/modprobe
in this case. /sbin/modprobe does exit(1) for modules that are
not found, and that 1 becomes 0x100 in call_usermodehelper().

and I wrote yesterday:
| request_module: failed /sbin/modprobe -- parport_lowlevel. error = -16

This one comes from drivers/char/lp.c::lp_init() calling
parport_register_driver(), which calls get_lowlevel_driver(),
which calls request_module("parport_lowlevel").
Since I have lp.o and parport code built into the kernel image,
these calls happen during early init, before <system_running>
is set to 1, so call_usermodehelper() returns -EBUSY (-16 on x86).

| request_module: failed /sbin/modprobe -- fb0. error = 256

Same as first case above, but for a framebuffer device.

I don't know what needs to be done about these, if anything.

Comments, suggestions?

--
~Randy