Re: Catch 22

From: Michael Lothian
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 19:46:50 EST

Paulo Marques wrote:

I guess the problem is that, by default, Mandrake creates an extended partition when installed, where all the other partitions go.

Whenever I install Mandrake, I'm always careful to switch to "Expert" mode and configure the partitions to be primary by hand to avoid this kind of problems.

If you are a corageous hacker, you can always:

- boot from a CD distribution (knoppix, etc.)
- run fdisk on your hard drive
- take note on the cylinders being used by the partitions,
- delete the partitions on the extended partition, and the extended partition itself
- create the partitions again as primary using the *exact* same cylinders
- write the partition to disk
- reboot

Probably you'll have to adjust fstab to use the new partitions, but at least 2.4 and 2.6 should both agree that you have an hda :)

I don't know if you'll need to run lilo again before rebooting, but I would do that just to be on the safe side. To do that:

- mount /dev/hda somewhere (/mnt/disk or something)
- # cd /mnt/disk
- edit etc/lilo.conf to always use /dev/hda
- # chroot . lilo

I hope this helps,

I assumed it was because 2.6 was labeling the SATA controllers before
the ATA ones but this is the least of my worries of 2.6. If everything
else worked with 2.6 I wouldn't need to switch between the two.

My biggest woe is that despite having a very cool graphics card I can't
play Warcraft III using WineX. (Which was the reason for my upgrade)

Mike