Re: [USB-STORAGE] Repeatable lost files problem

From: Andrea Pusceddu
Date: Thu Jan 15 2004 - 06:36:26 EST

[....]
> I'm guessing that the player is attempting to perform
> some sort of special test on the data. If the file doesn't conform, or if
> the filesystem is 'different' in some way, it obliterates the offending
> material.
[....]

Dear Matthew,

thank you for your reply. One thing I really can't understand is HOW can a file copied
from linux be different from the same file copied from Windows, once it has been
"wrote" into same the usb drive; it's really odd, isn't it? It seems kind of FUD to
discourage Linux users :)

If we were able to find out that difference it could be possible to "emulate" the way
windows flags the copied files (just guessing, I'm not a kernel hacker..)
If you believe that this odd behavior is worth a further investigation, I'm available for
your tests, I could run diagnostic tools, try out new drivers, and so on.

The MP3 player supports the firmware upgrading, but in the producer web site that
particular device is not listed.
It's annoying, honestly only Windows support was mentioned in the player handbook so
I knew I could meet problems with my Debian box, but once I saw the chipset was
supported, and I mounted in on /dev/sda, and I downloaded my data from it... :)

Do you think that it's worth to try out with the 2.6 Kernel, or there aren't any important
changes related to usb-storage that may help?

Thank you again for the great work you are doing with usb-storage, and for the time you
spent reading my messages.

Best Regards,
Andrea